Pavel Makin M.Sc.
Raum: S3|21 309
Power semiconductor gap switch for particle accelerator
Today, there are few options to control beam impedance. It was decided to develop device which will be capable of handling a high voltage and can turn on and off faster than a switch used right now (name in process: High Voltage Fast semiconductor Switch or HVFSS).
When the cavities are not in use switches, will short-circuit the gaps to strongly reduce their impedance and, as a consequence, the voltage induced by the beam. It is crucial to reduce impedance for a beam stability. Principal schematic of the system is shown on a figure 1. There will be a gate driver, balancing circuit and of course a switch which contains at least 30 MOSFETS.
Fig.1 Principal Schematic for the system
Main purposes of the project:
- Research in effect of particle radiation on a semiconductor devices
- Research in EMC for semiconductor devices in resonant circuits
- Development prototype version of HVFSS.
- Development of a mathematical model for a gap switch with respect to irradiation and EMC
- Development series of switches which could be installed in particle accelerator SIS100